Sports

Scan gives Emma Raducanu hope she’ll be fit for Wimbledon | Tennis

Scan gives Emma Raducanu hope she’ll be fit for Wimbledon | Tennis

Emma Raducanu is expected to be healthy in time to compete at Wimbledon after receiving encouraging results from the scan she underwent after his retirement from the Rothesay Open in Nottingham on Tuesday.

Raducanu announced on Wednesday her withdrawal from the Rothesay Classic in Birmingham, a WTA 250 event she was scheduled to compete in next week. It is believed she will recover in time to apply for a wildcard for the Rothesay International at Eastbourne the following week.

“It was disappointing to come out this week with a side injury and sadly I won’t be able to play in Birmingham anymore,” she said. “I look forward to being back on the pitch soon, however, to enjoy the rest of the season on grass.”

Raducanu suffered what she described as a “freak” injury, a sharp side strain, in the first round of the Rothesay Open in the opening match. She gave up in the first set as she trailed Viktorija Golubic 3-4 in her first official home match since her US Open triumph. Raducanu had a CT scan on Tuesday evening and reportedly received reassuring news of his results.

Raducanu will spend the next few days resting from physical activity before rebuilding for the rest of the grass season.

Eastbourne’s main draw begins on June 19, the tournament’s final week before Wimbledon, and that will be the focus of his return. WTA 500 event, Eastbourne has an extremely strong field with eight of the top 10 women entered.

It’s the latest in a long list of injuries for Raducanu since late last year, most recently a back problem that has thrown his French Open campaign into doubt. After her defeat in the second round in Paris Raducanu was pleased with the way her body had held up, allowing her to take a wild card in Nottingham. But she has now returned to the familiar feeling of recovering from an injury.

Meanwhile, Britain’s double No.1 and world No.83 Tara Moore has been provisionally suspended from competition after testing positive for nandrolone metabolites and boldenone and its metabolite.

International Tennis Integrity Agency reported Wednesday that Moore tested positive for a sample she provided in April while competing at the Copa Colsanitas in Bogotá, Colombia, where she reached the final.

“I’ve never knowingly taken a banned substance in my career,” Moore said. “I am studying how the positive result could have happened and I look forward to proving that I am a clean athlete. I am deeply saddened by the provisional suspension and hope to be back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Moore has the option to request that her B sample, taken at the same time, be analyzed and she will have a hearing at a later date.

“We are aware of the provisional suspension. This case is subject to ongoing due process which will be independently managed by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA). To preserve the integrity of the process, the LTA will not comment further until the case is closed,” the LTA said.

The 29-year-old hit a career-high 145 in singles in 2017 and has appeared in the Wimbledon singles main draw three times. Alongside his wife, Emina Bektas, his doubles career has taken off over the past 18 months, with Moore breaking into the top 100 and reaching his current career-high ranking of 83.

Moore and Bektas won their first-round match at Roland Garros last month before being forced to withdraw from the tournament after the ITIA informed Moore of his positive test on May 27.

#Scan #Emma #Raducanu #hope #shell #fit #Wimbledon #Tennis

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
asas-techno.com